pg_upgrade(?) not cleaning up old extensions

From: Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade(?) not cleaning up old extensions
Date: 2021-02-06 12:23:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have a (test) database that has been upgraded several times from 9.4 to 13 using pg_upgrade.

I have noticed that when I look at pg_available_extensions many extensions are listed with multiple versions even though only the latest one is actually used.

I did "alter extension ... update" for those that are installed in the database after running pg_upgrade. But the multiple versions even show up for extensions that are not installed.

After I did a dump & restore of the database in question, this list was cleaned and only the most recent version of the extensions were shown.

This is not a big deal, but I am curious neverthless:

Did I have another choice to cleanup that apart from doing the dump & restore?

Running "drop extension" obviously doesn't work for those that aren't installed.

Thomas