Re: Partitioning Tables

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioning Tables
Date: 2021-02-06 04:28:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2021-02-05 at 18:27 +0000, Campbell, Lance wrote:
> I have a challenge. I have two tables, group and group_member. A group table has a
> type indicator telling me which of three ways the table can be used. The group member
> table is made up of 50 million records that have a foreign key to the group table.
>
> I really need the queries to be fast for one particular type of group. This type has
> less than a million members in it. So my first thought was to create a separate
> group_member table just for members of this type of group. But I have to change a lot of SQL.
>
> The other idea I thought of is there a way to use table partitions? If the query goes
> against a group of type A then it would pull from the small partition but if it is a group
> of some other type it would query against the other partition.

If you want to partition "group_member", the partitioning key cannot be in "group".

So you would have to (redundantly) add "group.type" to "group_member".
You could ensure consistency by including that column in the foreign key.

If you want partition pruning to take effect, you will have to include
a condition on "group_member.type" in the WHERE condition.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe