Re: psql on Windows systems

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql on Windows systems
Date: 2024-07-05 18:47:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 05.07.24 um 20:23 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Holger Jakobs<holger(at)jakobs(dot)com> writes:
>> Recently I had to use PostgreSQL on a Windows based system, and I was
>> surprised that the psql tool behaves differently, when it comes to the
>> functionality of the readline library.
> Yeah, readline doesn't exist for Windows last I heard. At least,
> we don't try to build with it there.
>
> regards, tom lane

The page https://tiswww.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html says:
"Microsoft offers its Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about> as an
installable add-on for Windows 10 and Windows 11. It's basically a
separate packaged version of the Linux kernel that runs as a Windows
service, and you can build and install readline-8.2 within that
environment." Maybe it works when the machine doing the compiling and
packaging has WSL installed. Would be worth trying, imho.

The license of the Gnu readline library shouldn't impose any problem, as
other BSD/MIT-licensed software, like Tcl (https://tcl-lang.org) also
uses it.

Kind Regards,
Holger