Re: psql on Windows systems

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql on Windows systems
Date: 2024-07-06 05:51:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2024-07-05 at 20:47 +0200, Holger Jakobs wrote:
> > Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com> writes:
> > > Recently I had to use PostgreSQL on a Windows based system, and I was
> > > surprised that the psql tool behaves differently, when it comes to the
> > > functionality of the readline library.
>
> The page https://tiswww.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html says:
>
> "Microsoft offers its Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) as an installable add-on
> for Windows 10 and Windows 11. It's basically a separate packaged version of
> the Linux kernel that runs as a Windows service, and you can build and install
> readline-8.2 within that environment." Maybe it works when the machine doing
> the compiling and packaging has WSL installed. Would be worth trying, imho.

Yes, it should be simple to build "psql" with readline in that environment, so
I recommend that you do that.

I guess the Windows binaries don't want to require the users to install
Microsoft's Linux emulation. After all, if you do that, you might as well
use the ready-made Linux binaries.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe