Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot
Date: 2020-11-27 17:51:11
Lists: pgsql-www

On 2020-11-13 15:58, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>
>> How about this patch.
>
> This looks like it probably works as far as the actual build goes, but
> could we change configure's call of xmllint likewise? On a lot of my test
> machines (where, as a rule, I don't install DocBook; but xmllint may exist
> anyway), that probe for the docbook DTDs is the slowest step in configure,
> and not by a small margin.
>
> Actually, I kinda wonder why we bother probing for that at all; it doesn't
> look like anything is done with have_docbook.

We could change the call in configure to something like

PGAC_PATH_PROGS(XMLLINT, 'xmllint --nonet')

But the unfortunate effect of that would be to make it harder for casual
contributors to build the documentation. For example, on a new MacBook,
the documentation builds out of the box without needing to install
anything at all. That's a pretty big upgrade over 10 years ago. :)

I suggest if someone wants to turn off the current behavior, they can set

XMLLINT='xmllint --nonet'
XSLTPROC='xsltproc --nonet'

in the environment, and it will get picked up automatically.