Re: the ReportScriptingMojo

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the ReportScriptingMojo
Date: 2020-08-19 14:27:10
Lists: pljava-dev

On 08/19/20 10:10, Chapman Flack wrote:
> That's easy! :) The nar-maven-plugin builds a jar because that's what
> it does. We don't have any use for the jar it builds.

I remembered it might be a little more complicated. The POM for
pljava-so declares it to have <packaging>nar</packaging>. Maven seems
to understand a certain arbitrary set of 'packaging' types, and 'nar'
is one of them, and perhaps it expects a jar, or a jar and a nar, to
be produced.

That would be for the usual Maven picture where that jar or nar would
be deployed to a central repository and declared as a dependency by
other projects that would be downloading and using it.

That's a picture that PL/Java just doesn't fit; you don't have any
use for a pljava.so file unless you are going to put it in a PostgreSQL
lib/ directory because you are installing PL/Java.

I would change the pljava-so POM to say <packaging>nevermind</packaging>
only I don't think that's one of the recognized types. It should possibly
be changed to something other than nar though.

I have never looked into how extensible the set of 'packaging' types
is, or what would be involved in defining a new one that essentially
means 'nevermind'.

Regards,
-Chap