Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-05-29 12:14:40
Lists: pljava-dev

On 05/29/20 06:13, Kartik Ohri wrote:

> output is at least over 30000 lines and causes the build to terminate
> unsuccessfully as the it exceeds maximum supported log length. Please see
> https://travis-ci.com/github/amCap1712/pljava/jobs/341362356 . I tried to
> find but I couldn't find a flag to limit its log level to warning or above.
> I have an idea to try to direct the output to a separate file instead to
> standard output. And then search, the file for warnings and output those to
> the standard log. There may be a few caveats I need to iron out but I think
> it might work.

I think that's the right approach. Is it possible Travis also might allow
a separate file to be saved as a result of the run, so it could be mentioned
in the log and inspected separately? That might be how we want to treat
hs_err_pid<n>.log files in the case of a crash, too.

My sense from running with -Xcheck:jni in the past is that a lot of the
messages /are/ warnings, but apparently warnings about usage in the JRE
itself that we're not in a position to fix (analogously to the C compiler
sign-conversion warnings that mostly pertain to code in the PostgreSQL
headers, not in PL/Java).

It may take some study and iteration to figure out patterns to search for
in that output that will be sensitive to the most useful messages. But
just getting the output saved somewhere is a good start.

Regards,
-Chap