Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there
Date: 2024-04-17 12:53:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29.03.24 02:42, David G. Johnston wrote:
> We do use the term "stand-alone composite" in create type so I'm
> inclined to use it instead of "composite created with CREATE TYPE";
> especially in the error messages; I'm a bit more willing to add the
> cross-reference to create type in the user docs.

I'm not sure this would have helped. If you see this in the error
message, then there is no additional guidance what a "stand-alone
composite type" and a not-"stand-alone composite type" are.

Maybe it's possible to catch the forbidden cases more explicitly and
come up with more helpful error messages along the lines of "cannot
create a typed table based on the row type of another table".