Re: BUG #17584: SQL crashes PostgreSQL when using ICU collation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: BUG #17584: SQL crashes PostgreSQL when using ICU collation
Date: 2022-08-14 06:15:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

... BTW, I wondered how come we'd missed noticing such a serious problem
in any testing. The code coverage report at

https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c.gcov.html

says that only the "if (sss->collate_c)" path in varstr_abbrev_convert
gets exercised in our regression tests. I thought maybe that just
meant that the coverage.postgresql.org run uses C locale, but I see
the same lack-of-coverage in a local test under LANG=en_US.utf8.
How can we only be reaching this function with sss->collate_c true
when the prevailing locale isn't that?