Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Rader, David" <davidr(at)openscg(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "\"Marc Linster\"(at)EDB" <marc(dot)linster(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Date: 2016-07-07 12:50:18
Lists: pgsql-www

On 07/07/2016 12:57 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Rader, David <davidr(at)openscg(dot)com> wrote:

> But people don't want to deal with that, which is why we build
> installers for them.

Agreed.

> As I previously replied to Scotty, our installers include support for
> command line and response file driven installations which can be used
> in, for example, a cloud-init based environment to provide an
> installation that's performed to the users requirements on instance
> launch.

O.k. now this does make sense. This is my suggestion:

Remove this entire paragraph:

+The installer is designed to be a straightforward, fast way to get up
and running with
+PostgreSQL on Linux (Red Hat family Linux (including
CentOS/Fedora/Scientific/Oracle variants),
+Debian GNU/Linux and derivatives, Ubuntu Linux and derivatives, SuSE
and OpenSuSE) with
+the ability to deploy to user’s workstations, and various server
environments including
+bare metal, virtual environments, and public, private, and hybrid clouds.
+</p>

And change this line:

+This installer can run in graphical, command line, or silent install

to:

+This installer can run in graphical, command line, or silent install
including cloud-init automation.

> You may not care about such features, but it does not mean they are
> not there, and does not make them "marketing fluff".

This is true but this patch is unnecessarily redundant, which equates to
"fluff".

Sincerely,

JD

--