Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date: 2016-04-06 01:03:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 4/5/16 9:25 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I'm still in favour of a compatibility break, planned in advance and it
> makes most sense to call that 10.0

My view is that's just not an option. You'd be putting a huge burden on
a lot of users that have never had it before, and putting some of our
users in the position of abandoning Postgres altogether (I'm pretty sure
there are still users where having 2 copies of their database just isn't
an option).

(And just so no one thinks I'm some pg_upgrade zealot, I've never
actually used it...)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net