Re: [Pljava-dev] Building PLJava on Solaris issues

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] Building PLJava on Solaris issues
Date: 2016-03-26 22:32:34
Lists: pljava-dev

On 03/26/16 18:17, Eugenie V. Lyzenko wrote:

>> If so, could you describe the exact failure and the message?
> Now let's see what we have if to remove explicit declaring
> -R/usr/postgres/9.4-pgdg/lib/64 from aol.properties file:
> $ ldd libpljava-so-1.5.0-BETA2.so
> libecpg.so.6 => (file not found)
> libpgtypes.so.3 => /opt/csw/lib/64/libpgtypes.so.3
> libpq.so.5 => /opt/csw/lib/64/libpq.so.5
>
> At least we potentially will have one runtime linkage error. The other
> libraries may work and may not properly.

Hi,

I understand this is what you see when you run ldd on libpljava.so
in isolation.

However, in operation, that is not what happens. libpljava.so gets
dlopen'd into an already-running postgres backend process, where
those libraries have already been resolved.

Certainly on linux and other OSes where I have tried it, when you
actually load pljava into postgres, it succeeds with no difficulty.
(The Mac OS X linker even has a nifty option where, at build time,
it actually examines the postgres executable to make sure that it
really will satisfy pljava's unmet dependencies at the time it loads.)

So, if there is an issue here with Solaris, that will mean its
behavior is different from the other tested operating systems in
that respect. That's not impossible, but it would be helpful if
you could report what actually happens when you load that libpljava
in a PostgreSQL session.

Thanks,
-Chap