Re: [Pljava-dev] Video Tutorial - How to Build and Install PL/Java

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] Video Tutorial - How to Build and Install PL/Java
Date: 2016-03-06 08:27:47
Lists: pljava-dev

On 03/06/16 02:36, John R Pierce wrote:

> I personally would prefer to see document/blog/wiki format instructions over
> a video demonstration of a software procedure hands down. Bonus, its
> easier to make minor changes such as Chapman suggests... Updating a video
> will require reshooting scenes, and reediting the video, or if it was done
> in one take, reshooting the whole thing.

Well, so the document/wiki format instructions are already there, and
I think Igal has added something very valuable for people who do prefer
to see a process shown. (Especially if it can be edited to show common
experiences like what happens when libjvm_location isn't right, or what
happens on your *next* session if you didn't save the right GUC values,
or search path, or class path ... because those seem to be the causes
of a lot of "what's going wrong?" inquiries, and in a written doc it
is hard to emphasize them enough for the readers who are skimming,
without seeming to overdo it for the ones who are concentrating.)

I am assuming, of course, that Igal is using nice editing software, and
still has the input bits and not just the final rendering....

-Chap