Re: [Pljava-dev] PL/Java build/installation rework ready to merge

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] PL/Java build/installation rework ready to merge
Date: 2016-01-12 03:52:22
Lists: pljava-dev

On 12/19/15 11:59, Chapman Flack wrote:

> This is the list of remaining things that seem (to me) worth doing
> before calling a 1.5.0 release ... mostly on the order of housekeeping:

Little update ... most of these are merged ....

This brings nearer the time when it may be time to call ... what?
1.5.0-BETA1? A process is probably in order. There hasn't been a
release in a while.

-Chap

[MERGED PR79] issue [not 75] 65 - probably a real bug, probably not hard
to fix.

[MERGED PR78] declare a [not source file encoding, my faulty memory]
maven-jar-plugin version in the pom.xml; Maven warns if it isn't set

[MERGED PR78] rename the packaging subproject to pljava-packaging as
proposed on this list
http://lists.pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pljava-dev/2015/002355.html All
the other modules have a pljava- prefix and that seems good, as the
Maven repository namespace is org.postgresql, which has to be shared
with pgjdbc. (Will require chasing down references in the docs.)

[MERGED PR78] remove msvc-build-notes.txt (there's a whole MSVC section
in the new docs)

[MERGED PR78] add notes to Deployer and install.sql that they are now
unnecessary, redirecting to the current installation docs.

[MERGED PR82] add support for 9.1+ CREATE EXTENSION so it is also a
workable way to intall. (No longer that much easier than installing
without it, but would have the benefit of familiarity.)

[MERGED PR80] Rototill the sources changing PGSQL_*_VER conditionals to
use PG_VERSION_NUM directly. It appeared in PG 8.2 and we are not
trying to support earlier versions. I earlier simplified the build
process to depend on PG_VERSION_NUM anyway, but found that #include
order in some files made that error prone. It will be safer and more
readable to just make the change throughout.

- Add COMMENT ON in the code that creates the sqlj schema and objects in
it. Not a big deal, but seems a bit unpolished to have no comments on
those objects.

[COMMITTED] scour the wiki content for the most obviously obsolete info,
version references to PG 8.0.3 and Java 1.4, etc., which can be
replaced with links to the /one/ page of version targets in the new
docs. Not the time for a significant rewrite of anything in there,
just removal of obvious wrong info.

[MERGED PR78] same for the historical documents in the docs/
subdirectory.

- Release notes would be good. 1.4.3 came out in September 2011. There's
a lot to talk about since then.

[MERGED PR85] I propose some annotation keyword changes, as I think
1.5.0 will be the first numbered release featuring the annotation
support, so there will probably never be a better time to improve some
keywords if appropriate. I'll compose a separate e-mail about that.