Re: Failing to known state

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failing to known state
Date: 2016-01-06 00:32:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/5/2016 4:12 PM, oleg yusim wrote:
> I meant a scenario, when user is trying to connect to database
> (doesn't matter what interface) and database fails at this moment. If
> all authentication/authorization/validation functions are written to
> return false in case of abnormal termination, we are fine. If not, we
> can potentially encounter the situation when database fails into state
> where user is given greater privileges than he/she should or even
> authenticated, when he/she shouldn't.

if the postgres server processes terminate for any reason, there's
nothing to connect to. the client application will get a error like
'connection refused' back from the connection attempt, or if it was
already connected and the server aborts, the next query will return an
error like CONNECTION_BAD. there's no possible privilege elevation.