Replication conflicts despite hot_standby_feedback = on?

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Replication conflicts despite hot_standby_feedback = on?
Date: 2020-06-03 11:07:26
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm seeing the following at a customer site:

SELECT confl_tablespace, confl_lock, confl_snapshot, confl_bufferpin, confl_deadlock
FROM pg_stat_database_conflicts
WHERE datname = 'something' \gx

-[ RECORD 1 ]----+------
confl_tablespace | 0
confl_lock | 0
confl_snapshot | 84990
confl_bufferpin | 0
confl_deadlock | 0

SHOW hot_standby_feedback;

hot_standby_feedback
----------------------
on
(1 row)

This is PostgreSQL 11.7, the standby didn't disconnect from the primary, and
the number of replication conflicts is growing.

I had thought that "hot_standby_feedback = on" would get rid of such
conflicts.

In the code I see a lot of call sites for ResolveRecoveryConflictWithSnapshot,
so it is hard for me to track this down. Does anybody know what could cause
these replication conflicts?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe