Re: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?
Date: 2015-12-10 07:51:02
Lists: pljava-dev

On 10/12/2015 00:49, Chapman Flack wrote:
> On 12/09/15 03:10, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>
>> When java and threads are involved, things usually get nasty,
>> not so sure that it will be so easy with FreeBSD.
>> I remember I had to tweak postgresql compilation switches to get
>> pljava work in pgsql 9.3/FreeBSD 9.2.
> Ok, yes, I did find an earlier thread where you had done that.
>
> I am pretty sure the real fix for that has to be made in the port
> for postgresql itself, to make sure the functioning thread library
> is linked. I do see how that could be tough to explain to the
> pgsql port maintainers, who might think it isn't necessary because
> pgsql itself doesn't use threads, but leaving it out will be a problem
> dynamic linking from pgsql to anything else that uses threads internally,
> whether Java or ???.
>
> I'm doubtful that anything can be done on PL/Java's end to solve the
> problem, if pgsql itself has been linked with a nonfunctional threads stub.
> While PL/Java never lets more than one thread into postgres at a time,
> Java simply does use multiple threads internally and there is no getting
> around that.
>
> With that said, it *might* be possible to have PL/Java at least test
> for that situation, and give a useful error message (with an errhint
> to relink postgres with the thread library) instead of just silently
> hanging and making you guess. That kind of help really does improve
> the installation experience, so if you know of a (preferably portable)
> way to check that, it would be a valuable patch.

Thanx for your ideas Chap.
Next time around (next pgsql upgrade I guess), I will be more verbose in this list
and ask you guys for guidance on what/how to report/communicate/do, in order to
somehow make FreeBSD "more" official.

BTW, I personally never used packages neither on linux nor on FreeBSD,
mainly cause we need exotic features like ldap support.

> Cheers,
> -Chap

Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead