Re: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?
Date: 2015-12-09 22:49:20
Lists: pljava-dev

On 12/09/15 03:10, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> When java and threads are involved, things usually get nasty,
> not so sure that it will be so easy with FreeBSD.
> I remember I had to tweak postgresql compilation switches to get
> pljava work in pgsql 9.3/FreeBSD 9.2.

Ok, yes, I did find an earlier thread where you had done that.

I am pretty sure the real fix for that has to be made in the port
for postgresql itself, to make sure the functioning thread library
is linked. I do see how that could be tough to explain to the
pgsql port maintainers, who might think it isn't necessary because
pgsql itself doesn't use threads, but leaving it out will be a problem
dynamic linking from pgsql to anything else that uses threads internally,
whether Java or ???.

I'm doubtful that anything can be done on PL/Java's end to solve the
problem, if pgsql itself has been linked with a nonfunctional threads stub.
While PL/Java never lets more than one thread into postgres at a time,
Java simply does use multiple threads internally and there is no getting
around that.

With that said, it *might* be possible to have PL/Java at least test
for that situation, and give a useful error message (with an errhint
to relink postgres with the thread library) instead of just silently
hanging and making you guess. That kind of help really does improve
the installation experience, so if you know of a (preferably portable)
way to check that, it would be a valuable patch.

Cheers,
-Chap