Re: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?
Date: 2015-12-08 07:47:37
Lists: pljava-dev

On 08/12/2015 07:42, John R Pierce wrote:
> Its been several years since I've tried to deploy anything using pl/java and its rearing its ugly head again at my $job... we have this one in-house component that was developed on oracle, which is
> known to work with postgres and pljava, that we need to bring up under newer currently supported systems in a reasonably painless process.
>
> our platform is CentOS 6.x 64bit, we want to deploy using PostgreSQL 9.4.latest, and would prefer to use OpenJDK supplied with the CentOS/RHEL, preferably java 1.7 or 1.8 as 1.6 is considered EOL.
>
> last time I built pljava I remember having all sorts of problems with whatever postgres was latest at the time, as well as java.
>
> so, my first question: Have things been patched up so they work with current postgres/java ?

Now it makes/installs with maven. I did it (not so) easily on my FreeBSD, you should be ok on Linux.
Having maven compile your C is interesting :)

> the deployment situation was awful too, we ended up having to deploy it manually and it was rather intricate, and in my $job case, this is particularly complex because the production systems
> administrators are in Asia, with a 9 hour time zone difference, I'm part of a US based development team.
>
> I'd LOVE to see pljava packaged by pgdg as RPM's in their yum repository for the above versions, so deployment would be as simple as ...
>
> yum install postgresql94-{server,devel,contrib,pljava}
>
> My 2nd question: How far off is that from a possibility ? Is this something that could be encouraged with a bounty or something?

Far. The guys at pljava do their best within their limitations to have a working extension,
but I wouldn't expect anything more soon.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead