[Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Subject: [Pljava-dev] status of pl/java with current postgres and JDK ?
Date: 2015-12-08 05:42:21
Lists: pljava-dev

Its been several years since I've tried to deploy anything using pl/java
and its rearing its ugly head again at my $job... we have this one
in-house component that was developed on oracle, which is known to work
with postgres and pljava, that we need to bring up under newer currently
supported systems in a reasonably painless process.

our platform is CentOS 6.x 64bit, we want to deploy using PostgreSQL
9.4.latest, and would prefer to use OpenJDK supplied with the
CentOS/RHEL, preferably java 1.7 or 1.8 as 1.6 is considered EOL.

last time I built pljava I remember having all sorts of problems with
whatever postgres was latest at the time, as well as java.

so, my first question: Have things been patched up so they work with
current postgres/java ?

the deployment situation was awful too, we ended up having to deploy it
manually and it was rather intricate, and in my $job case, this is
particularly complex because the production systems administrators are
in Asia, with a 9 hour time zone difference, I'm part of a US based
development team.

I'd LOVE to see pljava packaged by pgdg as RPM's in their yum repository
for the above versions, so deployment would be as simple as ...

yum install postgresql94-{server,devel,contrib,pljava}

My 2nd question: How far off is that from a possibility ? Is this
something that could be encouraged with a bounty or something?

--
john r pierce, california