Re: does pg_dump get delayed if I have a loop that does continuous insertions

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: anj patnaik <patna73(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: does pg_dump get delayed if I have a loop that does continuous insertions
Date: 2015-10-28 04:05:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/27/2015 04:10 PM, anj patnaik wrote:
> I am running pg_dump on a database while on another machine running a
> loop to do insertions.
>
> Does pg_dump wait for idle activity before it completes or how does it
> determine when it has all the records needed for archiving?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html

"pg_dump is a utility for backing up a PostgreSQL database. It makes
consistent backups even if the database is being used concurrently.
pg_dump does not block other users accessing the database (readers or
writers).

> I am using the compressed mode and also using xz.

Again, why?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com