Re: Help with search_path setting - can't create objects

From: Eric Raskin <eraskin(at)paslists(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with search_path setting - can't create objects
Date: 2015-08-18 21:02:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you. There was a mistake in the user account search_path. I'm
not sure when I messed it up, but:

alter user sbowner set search_path = sbowner, public;

fixed the problem.

On 08/18/2015 03:54 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Eric Raskin <eraskin(at)paslists(dot)com> writes:
>> When I connect as the user, my search_path looks like this:
>> pas=> show search_path;
>> search_path
>> -------------------
>> "sbowner, public"
>> (1 row)
> That's not right ... those quotes shouldn't be there. (They mean that
> you have just one entry in the list, and it is "sbowner, public",
> which of course doesn't match anything.)
>
> How did you set that value exactly?
>
>> When I do this, it works:
>> pas=> set search_path to sbowner, public;
> Yes, that is correct syntax.
>
>> #search_path = '"$user",public' # schema names
> This would be correct too (note the quoting rules in postgresql.conf
> are not the same as in SQL).
>
>> Why is this happening? How do I fix the system search_path so that it
>> just "works"?
> There is evidently a broken setting of search_path that is overriding the
> default. Perhaps you applied it with ALTER USER SET or ALTER DATABASE SET
> or ALTER SYSTEM SET. Looking into the pg_settings view for the entry
> about search_path should tell you where the active setting came from.
>
> regards, tom lane

Eric H. Raskin 914-765-0500 x120
Professional Advertising Systems Inc. 914-765-0503 fax
200 Business Park Dr Suite 304 eraskin(at)paslists(dot)com
Armonk, NY 10504 http://www.paslists.com