Re: Help with search_path setting - can't create objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: eraskin(at)paslists(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with search_path setting - can't create objects
Date: 2015-08-18 19:54:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

Eric Raskin <eraskin(at)paslists(dot)com> writes:
> When I connect as the user, my search_path looks like this:

> pas=> show search_path;
> search_path
> -------------------
> "sbowner, public"
> (1 row)

That's not right ... those quotes shouldn't be there. (They mean that
you have just one entry in the list, and it is "sbowner, public",
which of course doesn't match anything.)

How did you set that value exactly?

> When I do this, it works:

> pas=> set search_path to sbowner, public;

Yes, that is correct syntax.

> #search_path = '"$user",public' # schema names

This would be correct too (note the quoting rules in postgresql.conf
are not the same as in SQL).

> Why is this happening? How do I fix the system search_path so that it
> just "works"?

There is evidently a broken setting of search_path that is overriding the
default. Perhaps you applied it with ALTER USER SET or ALTER DATABASE SET
or ALTER SYSTEM SET. Looking into the pg_settings view for the entry
about search_path should tell you where the active setting came from.