Re: BUG #11335: an invalid prepare statement causes crash at log_statement = 'mod' or 'ddl'.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, TAKATSUKA Haruka <harukat(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #11335: an invalid prepare statement causes crash at log_statement = 'mod' or 'ddl'.
Date: 2014-09-18 00:10:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On 2014-09-17 14:56:42 -0700, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, on second thought I have doubts about the throw-error approach too.
>> We've allowed this historically for a very long time, so I'm afraid we'd
>> get a lot of pushback if we change the external behavior now.

> I have a hard time believing this. Are we really believing that there's
> a significant number of clients preparing whitespace?

I don't know about "significant number", but the case is specifically
called out as legal in the FE/BE protocol spec, for example here:

Therefore, an Execute phase is always terminated by the appearance of
exactly one of these messages: CommandComplete, EmptyQueryResponse
(if the portal was created from an empty query string), ErrorResponse,
or PortalSuspended.

If we change it, that's a protocol break, and I don't think that being a
tad cleaner is sufficient argument for that.