How to diagnose max_locks_per_transaction is about to be exhausted?

From: Alexey Bashtanov <bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to diagnose max_locks_per_transaction is about to be exhausted?
Date: 2015-04-01 06:56:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

max_locks_per_transaction enforces some restriction: the_locks_count <=
the_threshold

the_threshold is max_locks_per_transaction * (max_connections +
max_prepared_transactions), the documentation is quite clear.

What is the_locks_count?
In docs we see "no more than this many distinct objects can be locked at
any one time".
What kinds of locks should we include? does the limit really restricts
*distinct* objects count and what is the distinction key for every lock
kind?

What should one change in the following query to make it show the value
limited by the_threshold?
select count(distinct relation) + count(distinct (classid, objid)) from
pg_locks

Best regads
Alexey Bashtanov