Re: reducing our reliance on MD5

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Arthur Silva <arthurprs(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing our reliance on MD5
Date: 2015-02-11 20:25:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/11/2015 06:35 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
> Usually because handshakes use a random salt on both sides. Not sure
> about pg's though, but in general collision strength is required but
> not slowness, they're not bruteforceable.

To be precise: collision resistance is usually not important for hashes
used in authentication handshakes. Not for our MD5 authentication method
anyway; otherwise we'd be screwed. What you need is resistance to
pre-image attacks.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function#Properties

- Heikki