pg_upgrade from V9.3.3 to V9.4.0

From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade from V9.3.3 to V9.4.0
Date: 2015-01-09 22:27:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

While we're not planning to migrate to the new version, I'm trying to gain some experience as the streaming replication has really changed in this version and indicates future
directions for it. My environment is virtualized CentO/S 6.5, and this particular server is the current primary, not a standby. My problem is that the pg_upgrade is just hanging -
for over an hour, before I killed it. I only see a "Verifying Cluster" message, and that's it. Even the 3 logs written by pg_upgrade, don't really tell me any more. Am I trying to
go too far with this upgrade? Do I need to bring it V9.3.4 first, or what? The behavior just seems a bit odd. I've only run this prior going from 9.2.2 to 9.3.3 and that had no issues.
--
Jay