[Pljava-dev] pljava on centos 6.5 64bit and postgres 9.? and java ?

From: craig at 2ndquadrant(dot)com (Craig Ringer)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] pljava on centos 6.5 64bit and postgres 9.? and java ?
Date: 2014-11-19 23:38:19
Lists: pljava-dev

On 11/20/2014 05:49 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> I've got a team at another site at $JOB asking me about the state of
> pljava on centos 6.x 64bit, postgres 9.whatever and which java to use...
>
> what IS the state of this project?

As far as I can tell from the mailing list and repository activity,
essentially abandoned at this point.

As someone who likes Java I'd like to see PL/Java be a more viable
option than it presently is, despite the mismatch between Java's
thread-based heavyweight-startup shared-everything-by-default model and
PostgreSQL's lightweight-process-based shared-nothing-by-default model.
PL/Java is less useful than it would be on a thread-based RDBMS because
you must use remoting to communicate between different PostgreSQL
connections within the same PostgreSQL instance, but it remains a
powerful tool ... just one that nobody seems to really be doing much
with at the moment.

PL/Java needs some remediation work in things like the logging
integration and its JDBC interface over SPI, so making it usable is not
just a matter of updating it for the latest JDK and PostgreSQL.

Like so many things I don't think many prospective users are willing to
actively contribute to its maintenance, and few people will work on JNI
code in their spare time. I have enough trouble getting people to
contribute to PgJDBC and finding time to work on that myself.

If you're interested in getting PL/Java rolling again it might be worth
speaking to someone on
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/
about that.

Otherwise you could do what everyone else seems to when they see
PL/Java's current state and just use an external JDK.