Re: Sample archive_command is still problematic

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sample archive_command is still problematic
Date: 2014-08-19 18:27:47
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 08/19/2014 10:39 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, if we want a sample command in the docs, then we should actually
>> give a few different sample commands and even a sample shell script. If
>> we give the users several alternatives, maybe they'll actually think
>> about it instead of just C&P.
>
> Sure, if we can think of some plausibly different samples.

I was thinking:

1. noclobber copy to a local/mounted dir (the current example)

2. rsync to a remote dir with overwrite

3. windows command example (hopefully using rsync ... can anyone help
with this?)

4. Simple bash script example using rsync to a target server, with
noarchiving touch file etc.

I'd also like to mention pg_receivexlog, Barman, WAL-E, and RepMgr as
external utilites and alternatives.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.