Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled

From: Jürgen Fuchsberger <juergen(dot)fuchsberger(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled
Date: 2014-06-23 07:12:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Can I do a consistent file-system-level backup using the following
procedure:

1) SELECT pg_start_backup(...)
2) rsync postgres data dir to another server
3) SELECT pg_stop_backup()
4) rsync pg_xlog directory

From what I understand this should be similar to running pg_basebackup
using the -x parameter, correct? One caveat seems to be that
wal_keep_segments should be set "high enough". Can anybody tell what
"high enough" usually is?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Best regards,
Juergen