Re: Advise on how to install pl/perl on existing DB.

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)lists(dot)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advise on how to install pl/perl on existing DB.
Date: 2020-05-26 16:47:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 12:32 -0400, David Gauthier wrote:
> psql (9.6.0, server 11.3) linux
>
> Hi:
> I'm a PG users who has asked our IT team to install pl/perlu on an
> existing 9.6.0 instance on linux. They really don't know how to
> approach this. Could someone point me to a good step-by-step
> (including ptrs to any downloads they may need) ?
>
> Also, when they do this, will it require DB downtime ?
>
> Thanks in Advance !

a) that says your server is running 11.3, not 9.6 (you might want to
update your own machine).

b) That really depends on how it was installed.

If they used a normal package repo they'll just want to install the
postgresql11-plperl package or equivalent, and then restart PostgreSQL
(although I'm not actually sure the restart is required?) and then do a
"CREATE EXTENSION plperlu;" in your database.

If they did some kind of custom installation then they might need to
just figure it out.