Re: Google+

From: kah42pub <kah42pub(at)blarg(dot)com>
To: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Google+
Date: 2013-12-05 19:11:18
Lists: seapug

On 12/5/13, 10:57 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Alright I have been thinking a lot about this and I think we should
> create a Google+ community. The reality is there is a lot of technical
> users on Google+ and it is growing very fast. The community
> functionality allows us to have another portal into the local Seattle
> Community, and another way to communicate with those users who may not
> want to use an email list.
>
> I am not suggesting that we remove Meetup (although it does become
> rather moot at that point), nor am I suggesting eliminating the website
> or mailing list. I just think the most searchable exposure and community
> building we can do the better.
>
> Are there any objections to this?
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I have nothing against, and encourage, SEAPUG getting the word out
locally through any means available, including Google+. However, the
more methods we use, the more maintenance that is required. I firmly
believe the mailing list and web site should be retained (as discussed
at previous meetings).

We just need to keep in mind that those who maintain the various portals
(Lloyd and Basil, IIRC) should have the final say because of the
additional time requirements involved for maintenance. To me, there is
nothing worse for any group than to have a portal
(web/Meetup/Google+/etc) and not have it maintained or current.

As for Meetup, there is quite an active technical community on there in
the Seattle area so to say Google+ has a bigger reach in the Seattle
area may not necessarily be the case (but I have no data either way on
this).

That's my $0.02.

Kris