Re: Segmentation Fault during database restoration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Sulman Sarwar <sulmansarwar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault during database restoration
Date: 2009-09-17 03:10:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I ask in particular because there have been big problems caused by
> building PostgreSQL as a universal binary. It seems to be important to
> configure it and build it only for the architecture you're actually
> using. That probably goes for ia32 vs x86_64 as well as ppc32/ppc64 .

Well, it's possible to do it but it's not easy --- you need to deal
with the fact that the configure-generated headers should be different
for the different arches. There were some discussions in -hackers
last year about how to do it.

The reported location of the error is not code that I would expect to be
subject to architectural issues, though, so I suspect this isn't
immediately relevant.