PgUS and SeaPUG

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PgUS and SeaPUG
Date: 2013-11-21 17:50:30
Lists: seapug

Hello,

Lloyd has pointed out to me that SeaPug never received proper
communication about what PgUS is providing. That is on me directly,
which is why I had given Lloyd two other contacts. However, it took me
quite a bit longer than it should have. I want to make an apology to
SeaPUG for that.

I am sorry. It is my responsibility that the communications dropped. I
am trying to rectify that. PgUS and I (together and separately) are
here to help and I should have been more on the ball with communication.
There isn't any more I can do about that mistake except to apologize and
move on to solving the next problem.

SeaPUG and PgUS

The Associated PUG model that PgUS follows is very similar to the
Associated Projects model that SPI uses with PostgreSQL.Org.

PgUS provides the following to SeaPUG:

* Legal Standing as a 501c3 Non-Profit

* Professional services including Legal.

* Business services including banking.
PgUS is not a bank. What we do is create a DBA, in this case SeaPUG and
open a bank account in that name. As long as the donations are in line
with the PgUS bylaws, this allows SeaPUG to receive donations and spend
them. Essentially if it is about the advocacy or education of
PostgreSQL it fits.

That is the basics.

Here are some operational points:

* Currently, only Lloyd can approve funds to be spent on behalf of
SeaPUG. This was designated in the original board resolution and between
discussions with Lloyd and Robert.

* To make sure your account it deposited correctly the check should be
made out either to: Seapug, PgUS or United States PostgreSQL. If it is
to the two latter, the check should have Seapug in the reference line.

* To spend money and get reimbursed:

* Check with Lloyd to see if he would approve the expense
* Spend the money if Lloyd approves
* Give copy of receipt to Lloyd
* Lloyd sends it to Treasurer
* Treasurer sends check directly to the person that spent the money

* For these services, PgUS takes 5% of any donation plus any fees
(banking, cc etc..) for operational costs.

* To make a deposit you can mail the checks to:

United States PostgreSQL Association
9220 SW Barbur Blvd
Ste 119-230
Portland, OR€Ž 97219

* Some points of contact

Mark Wong of PDXPUG is the Treasurer: markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com

All things money go to him.

Michael Brewer is the Secretary: mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com

All things legal/business go to him.

Jonathan Katz of NYCPUG: jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com

Is a good resource for advocacy and communication.

Lastly, PgUS is here to help. If SeaPUG doesn't have the money in their
account then PgUS will try to help. The point of the account is for
SeaPUG to spend their money in line with their priorities to expand
awareness of PostgreSQL. In short, autonomy. PgUS is also relatively new
at this part of what we do. Please feel free to ask any questions and
offer any suggestions.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--