Re: How to determine max int

From: Guy Rouillier <guy(dot)rouillier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to determine max int
Date: 2013-11-12 00:35:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/11/2013 7:14 PM, Melvin Call wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I could swear I read somewhere that the default integer size on 64-bit
> systems running 9.1 is eight bytes, or the equivalent of a bigint. But
> reading through the user guide it seems that it is indeed still just
> four-bytes. Can anyone verify that for me, or point me to a way to
> verify it? I see nothing in pg_settings which is where I thought to
> look. Not a big deal, I just need to know for the data dictionary.

The documentation seems pretty clear on integer data types:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.2/pg/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-INT

From the documentation, the range of integer data types is not
platform-specific, other than for warning about BIGINT. Perhaps you are
remembering compiler documentation, where the default integer size
typically *is* platform-dependent?

--
Guy Rouillier