[Pljava-dev] PLJava SIGSEGV on Linux

From: js at coalition(dot)com (Jatinder Sangha)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] PLJava SIGSEGV on Linux
Date: 2009-09-03 15:23:23
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi,

I'm new to PLJava and am experiencing a problem. I've done the usual
google searches and haven't really found anything to help with my
problem - so I'm posting my problem here in the hope that someone's seen
it before and can point me in the right direction.

I'm using the following systems/software:

Postgres: v8.3.3 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

PLJava: 1.4.0 (pljava-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-pg8.3-1.4.0.tar.gz
downloaded from
http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000038&release_id=1024)

Java: Sun Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (14.2-b01) for linux-amd64
JRE (1.6.0_16-b01)

Running on a HP server running Debian (etch) Linux 2.6.18-5-amd64 #1 SMP
Sat Dec 22 20:43:59 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

JBoss: jboss-4.2.3.GA

Our PLJava application is straightforward enough. On startup, we create
a database connection and invoke some sql code that invokes a java
function that registers a pljava/postgres transaction listener. Then
during normal usage, a database transaction is started, data in various
tables is modified - and we invoke another java function multiple times
to keep "track" of which items in the database have been modified by
this transaction.

Finally, when the transaction commits, the previously registered
transaction listener is automatically executed. This listener publishes
the list of changed database items onto a JBoss JMS topic.

This appears to work OK - but we regularly see the postgres processes
restarting due to a SIGSEGV fault in the jvm. Under light loads (1
transaction an hour) it can be several days before we see the restart.
We can provoke the restart by firing lots of concurrent transactions at
the database server (most of which modify data and hence end up
publishing the changes) - this causes a restart within 15 minutes
usually.

The problem nearly always occurs in JNI_callStaticVoidMethodV.

I've attached the java crash-log.

Does anyone have any pointers on what could be causing this?

Thanks,
--Jatinder