[Pljava-dev] Proper use of ResultSetHandle and related memory leaks

From: lucas at mcsnw(dot)com (Lucas Madar)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Proper use of ResultSetHandle and related memory leaks
Date: 2009-08-18 17:27:53
Lists: pljava-dev

Hello,

I have a pl/java routine that does some complex calculations based on
database information, inserts it into another database table, and then
essentially does a select on itself to return a resultSet:

public ResultSet getResultSet() throws SQLException {
if(resid != null) {
statement =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:default:connection").createStatement();
return statement.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM tblResult
WHERE ResultID = '" + resid + "'");
}
return null;
}

(resid is a class member variable, a UUID, and everything works fine).

However, executing this nearly 1,000 times in an open session leads to
the postgres instance growing to nearly 1gb in memory usage. Clearly,
there is a memory leak somewhere, but I would think that the ResultSet
and its open connections would be gc'd once the class instance was no
longer used.

So, I recoded the above to use a CachedResultSet, closed the connection
and statement, and the memory leak still persists. Is there a proper way
to use this that I'm not envisioning? Or have I run into a bug?

Thanks,
Lucas