Re: Embedding postgresql in an application

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Sam Talebbeik <sam777t(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Embedding postgresql in an application
Date: 2013-04-12 23:21:38
Lists: sfpug

On 04/08/2013 03:45 PM, Sam Talebbeik wrote:
> Josh, one other reason that I have heard is to get some portability
> and uniformity between Windows and Ubuntu. The process of installing
> Postgresql from the command line will be more or less the same on the
> two platforms which is, unzip the bundled zip file.

We have clients who do this because they release packaged software,
certainly. However, these clients also have a packaging staff of two to
five full-time engineers, and they still encounter all kinds of
build/install issues. So don't underestimate the amount of work you're
biting off.

> The issue of compatibility with the shared libraries is still there
> and it looks like the developers have handled it by testing and
> upgrading those system libraries when required. Maybe because
> Postgresql has been "well behaved" in this area that they have been
> able to get away with the cost of upgrading system libraries most of
> the time.

Mostly what vendors do is either:
a) restrictively certify only specific OSes and versions,
b) ship their own copies of these libraries,
c) some combination of (a) and (b)

> What it seems to me is that the developers started long ago with
> using hand made legacy approaches to solve Popstgresql installation
> from the command line on Ubuntu and Windows, and that project has
> taken a life of its own. Nobody is looking at any new approaches to
> the problem. At least this is what appears to me looking from the
> outside.

So if you're on the outside, why are you asking about it?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.