Re: Embedding postgresql in an application

From: Sam Talebbeik <sam777t(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Embedding postgresql in an application
Date: 2013-04-08 22:45:43
Lists: sfpug

Josh, one other reason that I have heard is to get some portability and uniformity between Windows and Ubuntu. The process of installing Postgresql from the command line will be more or less the same on the two platforms which is, unzip the bundled zip file.

The issue of compatibility with the shared libraries is still there and it looks like the developers have handled it by testing and upgrading those system libraries when required. Maybe because Postgresql has been "well behaved" in this area that they have been able to get away with the cost of upgrading system libraries most of the time.

What it seems to me is that the developers started long ago with using hand made legacy approaches to solve Popstgresql installation from the command line on Ubuntu and Windows, and that project has taken a life of its own. Nobody is looking at any new approaches to the problem. At least this is what appears to me looking from the outside.

Regards,
Sam