Re: wrong error from ./configure in pgsql 8.3.8 for libxml

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wrong error from ./configure in pgsql 8.3.8 for libxml
Date: 2009-09-17 02:57:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Was building pgsql 8.3.8 from source on a new install of Centos 5.2,
> and got this error from ./configure --with-libxml :

> checking for xmlSaveToBuffer in -lxml2... no
> configure: error: library 'xml2' (version >= 2.6.23) is required for XML support

> But I had libxml2 v 2.6.26 or so installed. The real problem was that
> libxml2-devel wasn't installed.

Well, in point of fact the library is *not* there so far as configure
can tell --- there's no libxml2.so or libxml2.a file. And in any case
we're not going to put in anything as platform-specific as suggesting
that you might need a -devel RPM (to say nothing of the similar but not
identical packaging conventions on other platforms). I think that's
just something you have to know about if you're building software on Red
Hat-based platforms.