Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication?

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: delongboy <sdelong(at)saucontech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication?
Date: 2012-10-19 14:44:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 10/18/2012 5:21 PM, delongboy wrote:
> I have replication set up on servers with 9.1 and want to upgrade to 9.2
> I was hoping I could just bring them both down, upgrade them both and bring
> them both up and continue replication, but that doesn't seem to work, the
> replication server won't come up.
> Is there anyway to do this upgrade with out taking a new base backup and
> rebuilding the replication drive?
Not that I know of.

I tried this as well when the development branches were out in a
"sandbox" and it failed as it did for you.

For 9.1 -> 9.2 what I did was bring down the cluster, upgrade the
master, then initdb the slave and run the script that brings over a new
basebackup with the WAL archives ("-x" switch), and when complete just
started the slave back up in slave mode.

This unfortunately does require a new data copy to be pulled across to
the slave. For the local copies this isn't so bad as wire speed is fast
enough to make it reasonable; for the actual backup units at a remove it
takes a while as the copy has to go across a WAN link. I cheat on that
by using a SSH tunnel with compression turned on (which, incidentally,
it would be really nice if Postgres supported internally, and it could
quite easily -- I've considered working up a patch set for this and
submitting it.)

For really BIG databases (as opposed to moderately-big) this could be a
much-more material problem than it is for me.

--
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker ®/ <http://market-ticker.org>