Re: Messy data models (Re: Visualize database schema)

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "'Wolfgang Keller'" <feliphil(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Messy data models (Re: Visualize database schema)
Date: 2012-08-19 05:08:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18/08/12 04:33, David Johnston wrote:
> [...]
I agree with almost all of what David wrote, but I particularly want to
reinforce what he says in the last paragraph above.

For example, a lot of tables may have multiple comments associated with
individual rows. Since each comment will have a userid, date/time stamp,
and text -- they will be stored in the own table and referenced via a
foreign key. Drawing lines from each affected table to the Comment table
would add a lot of clutter with negligible gain.

Similarly, if access to rows in a particular table (and many tables were
affected) depended on the company a user belonged to, then this would
also add lots of lines...

Cheers,
Gavin