Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Sutou Kouhei" <kou(at)clear-code(dot)com>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV
Date: 2024-07-31 13:42:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sutou Kouhei wrote:

> BTW, here is a diff after pgindent:

PFA a v5 with the cosmetic changes applied.

> I also confirmed that the updated server and non-updated
> psql compatibility problem (the end-of-data "\." is
> inserted). It seems that it's difficult to solve without
> introducing incompatibility.

To clarify the compatibility issue, the attached bash script
compares pre-patch and post-patch client/server combinations with
different cases, submitted with different copy variants.

case A: quoted backslash-dot sequence in CSV
case B: unquoted backslash-dot sequence in CSV
case C: CSV without backslash-dot
case D: text with backslash-dot at the end
case E: text without backslash-dot at the end

The different ways to submit the data:
copy from file
\copy from file
\copy from pstdin
copy from stdin with embedded data after the command

Also attaching the tables of results with the patch as it stands.
"Failed" is when psql reports an error and "Data mismatch"
is when it succeeds but with copied data differing from what was
expected.

Does your test has an equivalent in these results or is it a different
case?

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
https://postgresql.verite.pro/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Support-backslash-dot-on-a-line-by-itself-as-vali.patch text/plain 8.9 KB
test-copy-combinations.sh application/octet-stream 5.1 KB
copy-test-results.txt text/plain 3.8 KB