Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV

From: Sutou Kouhei <kou(at)clear-code(dot)com>
To: daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV
Date: 2024-07-31 21:49:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

In <4ffb7317-7e92-4cbd-a542-1e478af6ad5d(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
"Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV" on Wed, 31 Jul 2024 15:42:41 +0200,
"Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org> wrote:

>> BTW, here is a diff after pgindent:
>
> PFA a v5 with the cosmetic changes applied.

Thanks for updating the patch.

>> I also confirmed that the updated server and non-updated
>> psql compatibility problem (the end-of-data "\." is
>> inserted). It seems that it's difficult to solve without
>> introducing incompatibility.
>
> To clarify the compatibility issue, the attached bash script
> compares pre-patch and post-patch client/server combinations with
> different cases, submitted with different copy variants.
>
> case A: quoted backslash-dot sequence in CSV
> case B: unquoted backslash-dot sequence in CSV
> case C: CSV without backslash-dot
> case D: text with backslash-dot at the end
> case E: text without backslash-dot at the end
>
> The different ways to submit the data:
> copy from file
> \copy from file
> \copy from pstdin
> copy from stdin with embedded data after the command
>
> Also attaching the tables of results with the patch as it stands.
> "Failed" is when psql reports an error and "Data mismatch"
> is when it succeeds but with copied data differing from what was
> expected.
>
> Does your test has an equivalent in these results or is it a different
> case?

Sorry for not clarify my try. My try was:

Case C
| method | patched-server+|
| | unpatched-psql |
| embedded | Data mismatch |

I confirmed that this case is "Data mismatch".

Thanks,
--
kou