Re: Sanity check of shared_buffers value

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sanity check of shared_buffers value
Date: 2023-07-03 19:56:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 7/3/23 14:45, Wells Oliver wrote:
> Sorry, this is dumb, but I wanted to double check that I'm doing the
> shared_buffers calc correctly given it's in 8kb blocks (block_size is set
> to 8192).
>
> Want 24GB, which I think is 25165824 KiB so divided by 8 we get 3145728.
>
> Do I have this correct? Usually can test these but wanted to run it by
> someone before having to restart the server.
>
> Is there some calc web service out there that idiots such as myself can
> use for this?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-resource.html

"If this value is specified *without **units*, it is taken as blocks,"

My interpretation of this (and what I do in my postgresql.conf file, without
error) is to use a unit name, as such:
shared_buffers = 24GB

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.