Re: Link to a website with a faked SSL Certificate

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Thomas Oftring <thomas(dot)oftring(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Link to a website with a faked SSL Certificate
Date: 2011-09-22 05:40:48
Lists: pgsql-www

On 09/21/2011 09:12 PM, Thomas Oftring wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get the slides from the Postgres Open Talks 2011 Wiki
> Page but if I click on the link to the slides "Migration to PostgreSQL
> - preparation and methodology" Firefox warns for a suspect SSL
> certificate. A collegue accepted the SSL certificate an got a trojan
> virus on his windows pc.
>
> Please check the link before more people get problems with it.

I'm not sure what you are actually referring to - the link for that
particular presentation is not to a https site.
However the server in the url IS actually supporting HTTPS (using a self
signed cert) but I can't see a way at all how your collegue might have
gotten a trojan from that server.
Are you really sure that your collegue got infected from clicking the
link to the url http://bunsen.credativ.com/~jco/2011/migrating.pdf or is
that mostly based on the theory "the unknown cert was the only odd thing
that happened that day so it must have been that page?

Stefan