Re: COLUMNAR postgreSQL ?

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Juan Bru <juan_bru(at)yahoo(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COLUMNAR postgreSQL ?
Date: 2011-09-20 10:58:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 09/20/2011 03:48 PM, Juan Bru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any plan to develop a PostgreSQL Columnar release?
>
> I'm a researcher in the scope of Health (computer scientist, DBA
> background), used to work very well with PostgrSQL. Recently I'm
> facing analysis on 100M record tables so a columnar database could be
> a better option, but I would like to stay using postgreSQL.

To what extent would your needs be satisfied by a covering index or
index-oriented table?

That is: Are you doing deep data mining where you have LOTS of different
columns you're interested in finding patterns in, or do you only have a
few important columns you need to retrieve most of the time, plus a lot
of less-used data?

--
Craig Ringer