Re: Large Objects versus transactional behavior

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,<yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large Objects versus transactional behavior
Date: 2011-05-13 01:44:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> is there any chance to "just" make large objects obey the normal
> semantics in future?

I sure hope so, but I have no idea how hard that is. I feel the same
about TRUNCATE TABLE now that I recognize the semantic difference
between it and DELETE FROM with no WHERE clause.

For this release, though, I don't think it would be sane to try to
make them comply with transactional semantics. And, as I mentioned,
Serializable Snapshot Isolation can only make serializable that which
is conforming to the semantics of snapshot isolation.

-Kevin