[Pljava-dev] Windows 64bit officially released

From: eric(dot)kolotyluk at gmail(dot)com (Eric Kolotyluk)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Windows 64bit officially released
Date: 2011-05-04 16:40:55
Lists: pljava-dev

Comments on installation notes:

In general the documentation package in the release itself is terribly
confusing because much of it is based on 1.2, but that issue goes beyond
your notes.

1. Tell people the postgresql.conf file is in the data directory.
It's not obvious and I had to search a half a dozen documents
before I found that little gem of wisdom.

2. The part about using org.postgresql.pljava.deploy.Deployer is
confusing. It would read better as

You can also use the deployer program to do the installation. For instructions just run

java -jar deployer.jar

3. Also, when I actually tried to install using the deployer I got

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver
at
org.postgresql.pljava.deploy.Deployer.main(Deployer.java:238)

which begs the question, where does org.postgresql.Driver come
from? If you wanted to be really kind to your users then
deploy.jar would be an uber-jar with everything it needs to run.

4. Is putting the JRE on the PATH the only way to configure this?
Some people have an embedded JRE in their application, and it is
not suitable to put it on the PATH. What component actually
invokes the JRE (the pljava.dll or something else), and can it be
configured more directly with a specific locations for jre/bin,
jre/bin/clinet or jre/bin/server?

Otherwise the instructions are fairly straightforward for installing
PLJava. I wish the same could be said for using it.

Cheers, Eric