[Pljava-dev] Fwd: Re: Calling it a day

From: eric(dot)kolotyluk at gmail(dot)com (Eric Kolotyluk)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Fwd: Re: Calling it a day
Date: 2011-04-30 00:34:05
Lists: pljava-dev

Thanks for trying.

So far this is what I have discovered (after hours of hosing around with
stuff):

1. It is not possible to run 32-bit pljava with 32-bit Postgres and
32-bit Java on 64-bit windows. I have tried every variation I can
think of and DependencyWalker always shows that it is still trying
to link against 64-bit DLLs. This could be some sort of build
configuration problem with Postgres and/or PLJava.
2. The 64-bit release of Postgres has some bad and missing DLLs in
it. You need to add the referenced files to the postgres/bin
directory (let me know if you want me to e-mail them to you).
DependencyWalker shows one final unresolved function:
DatumGetFloat8 that I cannot find anywhere. Anyway, you need to
use Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyid=BD2A6171-E2D6-4230-B809-9A8D7548C1B6&displaylang=en>
instead of the (x86) version, and the version of IEShims.dll from
the 64-bit version of IE.

What I know to be true is that I can run 32-bit pljava with 32-bit
postgres and 32-bit Java on 32-bit windows.

The bottom line I know to be true is that Microsoft are fucking assholes
and make just about everything 100 times harder than it needs to be for
software developers.

I'll keep slogging away and see what I can figure out.

Cheers, Eric

referenced files:

* msvcm90.dll
* msvcp90.dll